Sunday, February 17, 2013

A Happy Sense of Achievement

Early last year, with the help of  22 Tango Creatives & Maya Franco Design Group, I was commissioned to create a logo for a new restaurant in Cebu. I've had experience in making logos before not of this type.  The concept was to make it look sophisticated and young but should embody a brush of Filipino culture since it was for a Filipino restaurant. These were the first attempts--very cafe-like and they don't really embody the Filipino culture of a fun and happy eating. I was trying to put in the image concepts of a ladle, a candle, a plate and a fish. But they didn't work very well. One even resembles an already existing restaurant's logo. So I had to scratch out the idea. 

 

With my next attempt, I was suggested to use a brush to make it a little bit more informal and fun. This time, I let myself go and wrote the restaurant's name in my most spontaneous handwriting. I used two types of brush techniques; dry and wet. For the last image, I used an old fountain pen. They came out pretty good. I submitted this and later I discovered one was chosen but I didn't know which one.

Fast forward to February 2013, I suddenly discovered that the restaurant was placed so near my office. Upon seeing the giant logo--I can't believe how beautiful it looks as a seven feet tall sculpture. Well, it's made of acrylic glass but still, seeing one's work being officially published like that can make anyone feel overwhelmed. I could almost say--I now know how a mother feels. And with this, I feel a happy sense of achievement.


Photo courtesy of Euge Veloso. HIKAY Restaurant is located in
Calyx Building,IT PARK, Lahug, Cebu City, Philippines.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha I understand how you feel. Before transferring from Euge's shop, I also did a lot of signage designing. They scream love when they were finished...but I had to deal with materials, cost, procedure and such so it was pain in the ass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting the great content…I was looking for something like this…I found it quiet interesting, hopefully you will keep posting such blogs….Keep sharingpvl whey protein

    ReplyDelete